building a community
activated spaces: pop-up project
The Activated Spaces Pop-up Project matches business owners and entrepreneurs who want to try out a business concept with downtown property owners who have first-floor storefront space available for occupancy. The Pop-up Project is a component of the Greater Downtown Dayton Plan.
why you should participate
Lease your space to a pop-up retail tenant for three to six months and receive the following benefits:
- Online exposure. Put your commercial space on the radar! Information about your space will be featured online at www.activatedspaces.org and published to our diverse online audience.
- Increase foot traffic. Activated Spaces will work to capitalize on successful events such as First Fridays, Summer In The City events, and the Dayton Holiday Festival by making your space a destination for downtown residents, workers and visitors.
- Sweat Equity. Volunteers are available to assist in preparing spaces for lease. Examples of volunteer support include painting, cleaning, landscaping, decorating, and other activities that do not require special certifications, specialized technical or professional skills.
- Flexibility. Pop-up Project will serve as a “match maker” between property owners and prospective pop-up retail tenants. An individualized approach will be taken based on your needs. Lease options could include below market lease rates, percentage of sales or escalating lease payments over the length of the short term lease.
- Financial support. Once a match is made, a small stipend is available to be distributed at the discretion of the Activated Spaces team to each of the businesses each month for the first three months to assist in offsetting startup costs.
- Move-in ready tenants. While you will have the final decision on which pop-up tenant moves into your storefront, the Activated Spaces team will work to bring you a pool of move-in ready retail tenants actively looking to open up shop downtown.
interested? what’s next?
- Confirm your interest by contacting Jen Cadieux at the Downtown Dayton Partnership – (937) 224-1518.
- Activated Spaces will accept applications from prospective tenants on a periodic basis.
- The Activated Spaces team will review prospective tenant applications for possible matches.
- When a match is found, the DDP will introduce you to the prospective tenant.
You then work directly with the pop-up tenant on short-term lease details.